Saturday, March 17, 2012

Mr. Woods


There's a series of beautiful, framed prints of famous composers in the music hall at my school. Bach, Liszt, Mozart, etc. They're all by the same artist, framed with thin, dark wood, with these gorgeous Impressionistic/dabbed backgrounds in blues and reds with the greatest names in music stoically posed in front. And then there was this not-matching, huge, print of Haydn with a background of music notes and a gilded frame in the middle of all the others. Then the portrait of Haydn fell down, leaving an open space in the line of portraits.

So I painted the choir director/head of our arts program who was also my AP music theory teacher! I've been wanting to do a portrait of him in the same style and then the space opened up for it ahahha. I hung it up without telling him. Apparently he noticed it later that day, according to my friend in choir. And it seems like he likes it! Though he said he "didn't deserve to be up there next to all those great composers" hahaha.

Anyway, this was basically a thank you gift for everything he's done for me in high school. He's gotten me a couple of local gigs as a pianist as well as plenty of performing opportunities in school shows.

My drawing/painting teacher made the frame. (As well as the canvas since we make everything for our paintings in art class). I spraypainted the frame gold and didn't do that well of a job ahaha. Missed a couple of spots and had drippage. My teacher said he could tell I hadn't tagged anything before haha...

It was fun trying to mimic someone's style. Really pleased with how this turned out.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shana, glad to see a new update from you! Just to echo every other comment I've ever given you, you are so incredibly talented! I lvoe the tones and the dabbed backgrounds with the golden frame tying everything together. This is such a thoughtful gift :-)

    Hope you're well and that you'll have plenty of pieces of art to show us - no pressure or anything ;-) Also, hope university offers and things are going well!

    Chloe xxx

    ReplyDelete